Newbie to yeast research

bshelley at iugate.ucs.indiana.edu bshelley at iugate.ucs.indiana.edu
Tue Aug 3 18:50:01 EST 1993

Hello all in Net-land,

I appeal to your expertise regarding some info:

I have just recently been offered a position to work for Dr. Alan Bender of
Indiana University to do some yeast research.  He is tasking me with
isolating the gene sequence responsible for the propagation of yeast at
high temperatures.  (ie 37C)

I know very little about yeast, so any and all info you can offer would be
greatly appreciated.

This is what I know I will be doing and using, though I am somewhat
ignorant on cloning techniques.  I start the position on Monday and in the
meantime will be cramming my head full of plasmids, libraries, and other
goodies.

I will be using SC-ura in both liquid and gelatinous petri forms.  He
prefers the use of "Southpal 1 3"  (he didn't show it to me, just said the
name, so please pardon a misspelling) and Ham 1 h.

Please give me any info that you can regarding these two restriction
enzymes, yeast gene cloning methods, and anyother info that you feel might
help me make the world a better place.  =)

Thanks to all of you who help!

Brent E. Shelley