Newbie to yeast research

GIETZ at bldghsc.lan1.umanitoba.ca GIETZ at bldghsc.lan1.umanitoba.ca
Wed Aug 4 13:19:00 EST 1993

--------bshelley at iugate.ucs.indiana.edu writes
Hello all in Net-land,

I appeal to your expertise regarding some info:

I have just recently been offered a position to work for Dr. Alan Bender of
Indiana University to do some yeast research.  He is tasking me with
isolating the gene sequence responsible for the propagation of yeast at
high temperatures.  (ie 37C)

I know very little about yeast, so any and all info you can offer would be
greatly appreciated.

This is what I know I will be doing and using, though I am somewhat
ignorant on cloning techniques.  I start the position on Monday and in the
meantime will be cramming my head full of plasmids, libraries, and other
goodies.

I will be using SC-ura in both liquid and gelatinous petri forms.  He
prefers the use of "Southpal 1 3"  (he didn't show it to me, just said the
name, so please pardon a misspelling) and Ham 1 h.

Please give me any info that you can regarding these two restriction
enzymes, yeast gene cloning methods, and anyother info that you feel might
help me make the world a better place.  =)

Thanks to all of you who help!

Brent E. Shelley
******************************
Welcome to the wonderful world of Yeast!!!
    I would highly suggest you get a hold of what many consider the
yeast bible (new testiment) "Guide to yeast genetics and Molecular Biology ed
by C. Guthrie and G. Fink, Methods in Enyzmology Volume 194 (1991).  This
whole
volume is full of info for the yeast researcher old and new alike.
    You may also want to invest in one of the current cloning bibles, such as
Current Protocols or the current Sambrook, Fritsch and Maniatis Molecular
Cloning!
    I have never heard of Southpal 1 3 or Ham I h but the latter sounds
like BamHI, which is very common and easy to use.  If I may be allowed to
quess
I think the other is Sau3A I which is used for making libraries that clone
into
BamHI sites.  I hope this info has helped and good luck with your yeast
research!

Dan Gietz
______________________________________
R.Daniel Gietz Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Human Genetics
University of Manitoba
770 Bannatyne Ave, Rm 250
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
R3E 0W3
Tel.: (204)789-3458
Fax.: (204)786-8712
E-mail GIETZ at BLDGHSC.LAN1.UMANITOBA.CA
"Trying to do the Manitoba Thing"