Looking for the Right Gene

Neil Bromberg 5-5785 bromberg at ct.med.ge.com
Tue Aug 10 22:05:47 EST 1993

We are studying gene expression during brewing fermentation by quantitating
specific messages using northern blots analysis.  We are looking for a gene
to normalize against.  The fermentations last approximately 7 days two days
of which the cells are in exponential phase and the last five the cells are in
stationary phase.  At the later stages cells are difficult to break open and the
extracted RNA  is more degraded.

1) Does anyone know of a gene that is expressed at a constant level during both
exponential and stationary phase?
2) Alternatively, does anyone have a way of finding such a gene taking into
account differences in extractility of the RNA.

Thanks.

Please reply to:
Susan Bromberg                                   Susan Bromberg
bromberg at ct.med.ge.com                           1833 N. HiMount Blvd
                                                 Milwaukee WI 53208