unknown yeast gene cloned but...

SUNHW at BIOMED.MED.YALE.EDU SUNHW at BIOMED.MED.YALE.EDU
Tue Aug 10 20:37:02 EST 1993

Dear friends: Through some genetic tricks, I have cloned an
unknown gene from yeast.  The open reading frame predicts a 45kd
protein.  A Prosite search hit a match with the heme-binding motif
of the cytochrome protein family (very good match).  Since this gene
was cloned based on functional relationship with histones, how can such
a motif have anything to do with histones?  My wildest guess is that
this protein is a demethylase, because histones are methylated on some
lysines.  Any help?  Your comments will be greatly appreciated! (I'm
not sure how the demethylation reaction goes.)  Sun from Yale