weird things happen but...

FATIMA at AT.AC.UNA.AIMP FATIMA at AT.AC.UNA.AIMP
Wed Aug 11 04:44:00 EST 1993

(SUNHW at biomed.med.yale.edu has cloned a cytochrome homologue in a screen
for things which "have something to do" with histones)

Dear Sun and others, there are many reasons why unexpected genes come
out of seemingly innocent screens. I recall a paper describing the isolation
of a gene involved in the regulation of cell size in a very fancy immuno-
logical screen for yeast surface glycoproteins. (that gene did not have
anything to do with glycoproteins...) Your cytochrome homologue might or
might not be what you want it to be; I would just delete it and look what
happens. If nothing, try the tests mentioned in the Chromosome III paper
(Oliver et al., last year in Nature).
The histone connection (whatever it is) might also just mean that your
gene influences the lenghth of some stage of the cell cycle. I do not
know enough about your screen to judge whether this possibility is real,
and, moreover, I might be a bit obsessed with the cell cycle -related
explanations (working myself on yeast cell cycle).

Good luck!                                                  Fatima