LISTA 3.1 released

Reinhard Doelz doelz at comp.bioz.unibas.ch
Wed Dec 15 04:04:17 EST 1993

Dear Colleagues,

please find enclosed the announcement of the LISTA database, release
3.1, December, 1993. This incremental release does not cover new genes
but mainly error corrections. NEW in this release is a SRS software module
and homology calculations on both peptide and protein level.

Regards
the LISTA team

The LISTA database release 3.1 contains the following files:

name            lines      bytes       checksum (UNIX sum -r command)

lista.dat       9992      225238         04573
lista.doc        759       31629         33365
lista.sdl        247        8099         56552
lista_hon.dat 149609     7565659         53409
lista_hop.dat 283383    16110522         45406

                                    LISTA

            A comprehensive compilation of nucleotide sequences
              encoding proteins from the yeast Saccharomyces

                             Release 3.1, December 1993

    To be published in "The Yeasts - Vol 6, Yeast Genetics", (1994),
  A.E. Wheals, A.H. Rose and S.E. Harrison (Eds. Academic Press, London.

       Patrick Linder(1), Reinhard Doelz (2), Marie-Odile Mosse(3),
              Jaga Lazowska(3) and Piotr P. Slonimski(3)

1 Dept. of Microbiology,Biozentrum,Klingelbergstr. 70,4056 Basel,Switzerland

2 Biocomputing,Biozentrum,Klingelbergstr. 70,4056 Basel,Switzerland

3 Centre de Genetique Moleculaire,Laboratoire propre du CNRS associe a
  l'Universite Pierre et Marie Curie,F-91190 Gif sur Yvette,France

                             Tel +41 61 -267 21 35
                             FAX +41 61 - 267 21 18
                           Email: linder at urz.unibas.ch

3.3. CHANGES INTRODUCED TO RELEASE 3.1

3.3.1. ADDITIONAL HOMOLOGY SEQUENCE DATA IN RELEASE 3.1
Experimental files have been added to the archive  which contain  sequence data
of the ORFs in conjunction with results obtained from a systematic   search  of
all LISTA entries in a non-redundant sequence database at Basel (status October
1993). Details are described in a separate posting, and the release notes.

3.3.2 ADDITIONAL FILE FOR USE IN SRS

The Sequence  Retrieval  System (SRS) supports LISTA, LISTA-HON  and  LISTA-HOP
files. The necessary SDL files in the ODD language have been added to this  re-
lease.  Details are described in a separate posting, and the release notes.

6.1. AVAILABILITY

The LISTA database is available either on diskettes(M.-O- Mosse,Centre de Gene-
tique Moleculaire, CNRS, F-91190 Gif sur Yvette;  mosse at frcgm51.bitnet)  or  by
anonymous FTP from  bioftp.unibas.ch [131.152.8.1] or its  mirror nic.switch.ch
[130.59.1.40] on the internet. New sequences and comments on the existing data-
base may be sent to P. Linder (linder at urz.unibas.ch). LISTA is  distributed  by
the EMBL data library and the associated services (CD-ROM, FTP, EMAIL servers).

7 ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

This work was supported by grants from the Ministere  de l'Espace(program GREG)
(to P.S.) and by the Swiss  National  Science  Foundation  and  the  University
Basel-Stadt (to P.L. and R.D.). We would also like to thank all researchers who
provided valuable feedback on previous releases. In particular,  thanks  go  to
Thure Etzold for assistance in building the LISTA.SDL file.
LISTA 3.1 is based to a large extent on the suggestions submitted by Amos  Bai-
roch, Geneva. We very much appreciate his input to the LISTA database.

--
|    Dr. Reinhard Doelz            | RFC     doelz at urz.unibas.ch         |
|   Klingelbergstrasse 70          | FAX     x41 61 261- 6760 or 267- 2078
|     CH 4056 Basel                | TEL     x41 61 267- 2076 or 2247    |
+------------- bioftp.unibas.ch is the SWISS EMBnet node ----------------+
                     ftp mirror at nic.switch.ch