a petition against ODs

Daniel Zabetakis dan at cubmol.bio.columbia.edu
Fri Jul 16 09:51:50 EST 1993

In article <QgFTR1K00iUy87xnEO at andrew.cmu.edu> "Morris F. Manolson" <mm6y+ at andrew.cmu.edu> writes:
>>In article <QgFJxqe00iV381eFZj at andrew.cmu.edu> mm6y+ at andrew.cmu.edu
>(Morris F.
>>Manolson) writes:
>>
>>  Not every experiement needs an accurate cell count.
>
>DanZ
>
>Dear Dan, I agree completely!  Thats why you only want to make
>one single graph of "OD vs Cell titer" for the entire time you
>use one particular spectrophotometer.

   Except that OD/cell varies for each strain. We proably use 10-15 different
strains for our experiments (except mutant screen). You really need a
curve for each strain.

   I take the point, but I wouldn't bother. I use OD, and I will publish
OD. I don't really care about the cell count.

   My pet peeve: Journals that require centrifugation in g's.  I don't know
g's from a whole in the head. I can report the speed, and the rotor. If
someone is cramping bad about it, let them go look up the radius. :-)

DanZ