a petition against ODs

Kevin Morano ez005528 at ucdavis.edu
Mon Jul 19 20:50:25 EST 1993

Daniel Zabetakis (dan at cubmol.bio.columbia.edu) wrote:
: In article <QgFTR1K00iUy87xnEO at andrew.cmu.edu> "Morris F. Manolson" <mm6y+ at andrew.cmu.edu> writes:
: >>In article <QgFJxqe00iV381eFZj at andrew.cmu.edu> mm6y+ at andrew.cmu.edu
: >(Morris F.
: >>Manolson) writes:
: >>
: >>  Not every experiement needs an accurate cell count.
: >
: >DanZ
: >
: >Dear Dan, I agree completely!  Thats why you only want to make
: >one single graph of "OD vs Cell titer" for the entire time you
: >use one particular spectrophotometer.

:    Except that OD/cell varies for each strain. We proably use 10-15 different
: strains for our experiments (except mutant screen). You really need a
: curve for each strain.

:    I take the point, but I wouldn't bother. I use OD, and I will publish
: OD. I don't really care about the cell count.

:    My pet peeve: Journals that require centrifugation in g's.  I don't know
: g's from a whole in the head. I can report the speed, and the rotor. If
: someone is cramping bad about it, let them go look up the radius. :-)

: DanZ

: --
: This article is for entertainment purposes only. Any facts, opinions,
: narratives or ideas contained herein are not necessarily true, and do
: not necessarily represent the views of any particular person.

Well, for things like pelleting cells who cares, but for more precise
spins the g force is the only constant. Also, someone else may not have
the literature on your rotor and may have to go through a lot of paperwork
to get what should already be figured out for your setup. All in all, a
minor point.