aphidicolin and yeast in vivo

MHAMILTO at vm.ucs.UAlberta.CA MHAMILTO at vm.ucs.UAlberta.CA
Tue Jul 20 13:45:52 EST 1993

    As part of a project investigating amplification, I'm looking for a
way to block replication by interfering with DNA polymerase.  I have
the appropriate cdc mutants, but would like to try a chemical method as
well.
    I'm considering using aphidicolin to block replication in growing
cells.  This inhibitor is known to induce DNA rearrangements and
amplification in SV40. I have found a paper (1980) which notes that
invivo treatment of cells with aphidicolin has little effect up to
concentrations of 100 ug/ml.  Naturally, I found this information a
little daunting.
    Does anyone know if conditions which allow aphidicolin to work in
vivo exist?
    Is there a better choice of inhibitor which is known to induce
chromosomal aberrations?

    Replies can be sent to mhamilto at vm.ucs.ualta.ca (Internet) or
posted.  And, hey, thanks for the help.

Mike Hamilton