yeast alpha factor (fwd)

Robert Preston rapr at MED.PITT.EDU
Fri Jun 18 14:02:59 EST 1993

 in > Message-Id: <9306152250.AA11335 at net.bio.net>
> From: yeast at reed.edu (Peter J. Russell)

is requested: >
> 	I am interested in finding a method of arresting cell division of
> spheroplasts directly after transfection with a viral RNA.  The method
> must be reversible and allow the virus to  become established, ruling out
> protein synthesis inhibitors.  One possibility we have considered is to
> use alpha factor.  Does anyone know whether alpha factor works on
> spheroplasts,?  Also, how long does it remain effective in solution, and
> what concentrations are most effective

Have you considered using one of the temperature-sensitive mutants that
are blocked at G0 of the cell division cycle...these stop at or near the
same step that is blocked by alpha factor arrest, and I think several or
most of the mutations cause a reversible arrest.  All you need to do is
raise the temp to 37 to cause arrest.  See the CDC gene literature for
more info.                              .....Rob

Robert A Preston
rapr at med.pitt.edu