commonly used strains

FATIMA at AIMP.UNA.AC.AT FATIMA at AIMP.UNA.AC.AT
Thu May 13 14:22:00 EST 1993

Dear People,

Is this newsgroup still alive? I did not get any real message (as opposed
to various tests and "please ignores" and re-postings of old messages
which mysteriously bounce around) since quite a few days.
If it IS alive (i.e. if you read this message), we might try to talk about
something interesting again... E.g. about the organism we are working with.
Genetics is currently being done on a lot of strains whose origin is often
rather difficult to trace (to my knowledge - based on a Medline search from
1986 till March 1993 - the only publication on this topic in last 8 years is
a paper about S288C by R.K. Mortimer and J.R. Johnston, Genetics 113:35-43,
1986). A lot of S. cerevisiae molecular biology is being done on strains
derived from W303 which might have a chance to become a budding yeast
equivalent of E. coli K12. I tried (not really hard) to trace the origin of
this strain and ended up with references to Rodney Rothstein and to R.
Fuller at Stanford; I do not think this is the ultimate origin.
If anyone knows more about the original source of W303 or about its
relationship to other frequently used backgrounds, please post it or
let me know. I think that it might be worth trying to compile a genealogy
of the most frequently used strains; there are many situations where
strain background does matter...(more about them perhaps next time).

Fatima Cvrckova  (fatima at aimp.una.ac.at)