Pure yeast strains?

USA::RGB12955 RGB12955%USA.decnet at USAV01.GLAXO.COM
Mon May 17 14:06:00 EST 1993

Since we are all aware that every generation introduces some small number of
mutations into every cell, that must mean there is no such thing as isogenic
strains, or even isogenic colonies on a plate.  Thus, when one goes to store a
new strain (say, one that has recently arrived via slant from a generous fellow
yeast person), what is the careful researcher to do?  Should I streak for
singles and store one, as I learned in Micro Lab?  Or should I streak for
singles to check for contamination, then store a gob or mixture of singles?
Then, when reviving a strain to do experiments, or starting from a plate in the
fridge, do I pick a single colony, knowing full well that it is slightly
different from the one I chose for last weeks experiment?  Or do I grab a gob,
and live with the knowledge that it may be contaminated?

If anyone has any thoughts on this, I would love to hear them.

Thanks,
Rich Buckholz
Glaxo Research Institute