5-FOA

Morris F. Manolson mm6y+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Sun May 23 18:56:04 EST 1993

>Does anyone know a better source of 5-fluoroorotic acid (FOA) for selecting
>URA- mutants? Purchasing FOA from Sigma cost $245/g or about $10/plate.

I just purchased 5g of 5-FOA (cat# F-5950) for $234.65 (canadian)
from Toronto Research Chemicals (416-638-9696).  This is a very
very small company out of Toronto run by a couple of bothers.
They will match the price (taking into account the canadian/US
exchange rate) that PCR Inc. gives to the Genetics Society
of America.  The advantages for canadians is that you don't have
to pay customs and duty and shipping and custom broker's fees and
god knowns what other hidden costs there are and you don't have
to buy 10 grams to get the discount.  I tried their last batch
of 5-FOA and I got Ura- stains, so the stuff works.  If they
give you a hard time on the price, just remind them that they
gave it to me for that price.

No, I don't work for or am related to the guys running the company.
Shame though, I probably could have got a better price if I was.
take care and have fun bargaining!  Morrie

Morris F. Manolson                     Tel:  416-813-6662  (office)
Division of Cell Biology                     416-813-5594  (lab)
Hospital for Sick Children                   416-813-5028  (FAX)
88 Elm St., McMaster building        email:  Morrie at resunix.ri.sickkids.on.ca
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
M5G 1X8

88 Elm St., McMaster building        email:  Morrie at resunix.ri.sickkids.on.ca