synthetic lethality

Matthew Sachs msachs at ADMIN.OGI.EDU
Fri Nov 5 12:44:47 EST 1993

>The best description of synthetic lethality was given by Dr. Jon Jarvik
>in an adv. genetics class during my first year in grad school. He said
>(and I paraphrase) that synthetic lethality was like a 'C' in a class in
>grad school-- get one in any class and you're OK, get two and you're
>dead.
>

>The first paper at my knowledge describing synthetic lethal mutants
>is:
>- Basson et al (1987)Genetics, 117: 645-655

Jonathan Jarvik and David Botstein
Conditional-lethal mutations that suppress genetic defects in morphogenesis
by altering structural proteins
Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., USA
Vol 72, pp 2738-2742, 1975

These authors describe what might be called "synthetic vitality", a
phenomenon  closely related to "synthetic lethality".  The paper describes
the isolation of phage P22 conditional-lethal mutations that suppress
missense lethal mutations in other genes.  "...Suppressor analysis ought to
be especially useful for investigating proteins that engage in strong
noncovalent interactions with one another."

Matthew Sachs