cytoplasmic dyes

David R. Singleton drs2 at po.CWRU.Edu
Tue Oct 19 08:51:19 EST 1993

Dear yeast-netters,
I know there was a posting a few months ago on the topic, but I
can't remember the specifics. I am looking for a cytoplasmic
dye (either visible or fluorescent) that I can preload into cells
and then use to distinguish unloaded cells several hours later.
Do any of the esterase substrates used for mammalian cells (such
as BCECF or calcein) work in yeast? Vacuolar dyes are probably
not going to be useful; I really need something that will be in
the cytosol. Thanks for any suggestions.
Dave Singleton (drs2 at po.cwru.edu)