Sphaeroplasts

Jens Alfken alfken at athena.mit.edu
Sat Oct 30 15:54:31 EST 1993

Hi,

I'm starting with yeast and some of my plans call for sphaeroplasts.

Current Protocols in Molecular biology gives a protocol for doing this
that uses Zymolase. Somewhere I read that ICN is supposed to have that
stuff. Unfortunately I cannot find it in their catalogue (91/92 edition).
Instead they offer several items called 'Yeast Lytic Enzyme' and say that
these are useful for preparing yeast sphaeroplasts. So here goes :

Is Zymolase obsolete ?

Is Yeast Lytic Enzyme the way to go ? Does that mean a change in the
protocol (units/ml etc.) ?

What is the 'state of the art' way of preparing sphaeroplasts.

Any help is appreciated.

Jens Alfken

alfken at athena.mit.edu
"Da steh' ich nun ich armer Thor und bin so klug als wie zuvor"