Help with Brewers Yeast question

Denys Proteau dp2p+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Sep 10 14:53:52 EST 1993

Big Disclaimer:  I am not a nutritionist, I'm only trying to give a
reasoned reply since hardly any other replies have been posted.

I think that you're asking a lot of questions here and that no one on
this net is likely to be qualified to answer all of them.

From: rbowers at csusb (Cosmo)
>One thing that comes up now and then is protein absorbtion. From what I can
>
>understand, a *raw* egg (yech), has the *most* usable protein than any other
>
>food, mainly because of the amino acid content. It was also hinted at that the

   By "protein absorption" I guess you mean how much of the protein in
your food is getting into your cells.  I don't know how cooking eggs
affects this, but I think that even for a bodybuilder concerned with
maximum protein intake versus minimum everything else intake, the
possible difference in "protein absorption" between cooked and raw eggs
should not be a major concern compared to the other nutritional
disadvantages of eggs (cholesterol, fat).  I'm not suggesting that eggs
are bad food, but I am stating my opinion that no one should try to rely
on eggs as their sole  source of protein or that raw eggs should
constitute the bulk of anyone's diet.  Also there is always risk of
ingesting Salmonella or toxic Escherichia coli from red meat, dairy, and
poultry products so these should be properly cooked or pasteurized.
Remember that even if the animal or egg you are eating did not
originally carry a disease, industrial processing of the food product
often contaminates it before you by it.  In the case of eggs, even if
the egg white and yolk are not contaminated, there can be bacteria on
the surface of the shell that can enter any food made from eggs.

>	Now I refuse to eat raw eggs.. (yech), but instead, I have found that
  (Good for you!)
>taking brewers yeast provides a complete supply of amino acids so that I can
>
>substitute the raw eggs for say, a potato, and the yeast will help to
boost the

>protein absorbtion in addition to a healthy supply of the vitamin B complex.
  I don't know eggs versus yeast, but I have heard that beer once served
as an important nutritional supplement before the yeast was filtered
out.  I also think that some people can have adverse reactions to eating
too much yeast, but I don't know whether this type of reaction
constitutes an allergy or not.

   As to whether eggs have steroids that can affect humans, I don't know
either.  I am sure, however, that your doctor is wrong about our bodies
reducing everything we eat to glucose.  Certainly many drugs can be
taken orally, and humans need certain vitamins and amino acids and
minerals in our diets in order to survive in the long term, although we
can live a long time even when starved for some essentials.