Preston Garrison garrisonp at THORIN.UTHSCSA.EDU
Tue Apr 12 02:34:48 EST 1994

Scott J. Diede wrote:

>In article <2obs4u$6o6 at masala.cc.uh.edu>, bchs1b at Elroy.UH.EDU (Michael
>Benedik) wrote:
>> Can someone tell me the nature of the his3del200 mutation. Is this a deletion
>> of his, how big etc.
>> thanks
>>  Michael Benedik                              INTERNET: Benedik at uh.edu
>>  Dept. of Biochemical & Biophysical Sciences
>>  University of Houston                                BITNET: Benedik at uhou
>The his3del200 allele consists of a 1 kb deletion that deletes the entire
>coding region within the genomic HIS3 containing EcoRI/SalI fragment cloned
>in the EcoRI and SalI sites of YRp14.

>I got this information from Sikorski and Hieter, Genetics 122:19-27 (May
>The original allele construction is described in Fasullo and Davis, MCB
>8:4370-4380,1988 or Struhl and Hill, MCB 7:104-110, 1987.
>Hope this helps!
>Scott J. Diede
>The University of Chicago
>Department of Molecular Genetics and Cell Biology
>920 E 58th Street Box 56
>Chicago IL 60637
>TEL:  (312) 702-2031
>FAX:  (312) 702-3172
>died at midway.uchicago.edu

Note also that this deletion removes part of the promoter of PET56, which is
upstream of HIS3, and this has effects on growth if the cells are on non-
fermentable carbon sources. See Science 262: 1886-1889 1993.

Preston Garrison
Biochem. Dept.
San Antonio, Tx 78284-7760
garrisonp at uthscsa.edu