reporter genes for yeast

Mark Johnston mj at SEQUENCER.WUSTL.EDU
Wed Apr 20 18:20:36 EST 1994

Hi buddies,

        As part of our sequencing project here in St. Louis, we are
planning a large-scale gene disruption project.  In addition to disrupting
genes, we would like also to construct promoter fusions to a reporter gene
for measuring levels and regulation of gene expression.  I am writing to
ask for advice on reporters to use.  The reporter must have the following
properties:

        1.  small size (< ~ 2kb), so it is PCRable;

        2.  easy to assay (preferably with permealized cells);

        3.  relatively sensitive assay, (so it can detect expression from
weak promoters);

        4.  no sequence homology to the yeast genome;

        5.  (optional) provide a visual screen for activity;

        6.  (optional) provide a selection for and/or against function (for
selecting
                                 regulatory mutants).

If anyone knows of a good reporter that has these properties, I'd
appreciate hearing about it.  You can answer me directly, and I'll
summarize the responses for the group.  Thanks.

Sincerely,

        Mark Johnston
        Department of Genetics Box 8232
        Washington University Medical School