Glucose reppression of gal promoters

Mark Johnston mj at SEQUENCER.WUSTL.EDU
Sat Dec 17 16:59:29 EST 1994

Elias E. Coutavas wrote:

>A friend has an essential gene behind a gal promoter.  Shift to glucose
>does not kill the cells.

        I've heard of this happening before.  In addition to the
possibilities that Colin mentioned, it's also possible that exceedingly low
levels of the gene product are needed for viability.  The extremely low
level of expression of the GAL promoters on glucose may provide enough
protein.  I guess the thing to test would be to see if GAL4 is required
(Gal4p is almost certainly required for the background expression), though
I'm not sure how that could be done.............

        Mark Johnston
        Department of Genetics Box 8232
        Washington University Medical School
        4566 Scott Ave.