thomas fox thomas_fox at qmrelay.mail.cornell.edu
Wed Dec 21 17:21:07 EST 1994

In article <1994Dec21.194324 at crick.rz-berlin.mpg.de>,
andre at mpimg-berlin-dahlem.mpg.de (CHAZ) wrote:

> Does anybody have suggestions for preparing mitochondria
> from S. cereviseae?  I have been making spheroplasts with
> zymolase, but I have trouble breaking the cells open-
> I tried a tissue homogenizer, but even after 30 strokes
> the yeast seem to be quite happy and intact.  Any other
> ideas?   Thanks in advance for suggestions.
>
> C. Andre

We use a Parr Bomb, which pressurizes the spheroplasts with CO2 prior to
popping the cork.  See:
Chen, J.-Y. and Martin, N.C. (1988) J. Biol. Chem., 263, 13677-13682.
Dake, E., Hofmann, T.J., McIntire, S., Hudson, A. and Zassenhaus, H.P.
(1988) J. Biol. Chem., 263, 7691-7702.
McMullin, T.W., Haffter, P. and Fox, T.D. (1990) Mol. Cell. Biol., 10,
4590-4595.

Tom Fox