Yeast budding

Tomas Drgon DRGON at fns.uniba.sk
Wed Feb 16 03:22:16 EST 1994

> The cell wall may be an important feature of budding versus fission.
> If a yeast cell divides by fission, the cell wall must be relatively
> elastic to allow the increase in cell mass.  However, a "hardened"
> cell wall - although it provides more structural support- may not
> allow much cell growth.  Perhaps S. cerevisiae has a more rigid,
> stronger cell wall than S. pombe.  Does anyone know if S. cerevisiae
> is more hardy than S. pombe?
>

> Robin
>

> Please note that I did NOT ask whether cerevisiae is better than
> pombe!

Hi.
I tend to think that there is no significant difference in the
rigidness of the cell walls of S.c. and S.p.. Moreover, the polar
growth of S.p. has nothing to do with cell wall flexibility (see
latest by Paul Nurse). There might be a slight problem in application
of S.c. protoplasting protocols on S.p., but this is mainly due to
the content of 1-4 glucan in S.p. wall (a handfull of cellulase does
it).
I think the budding versus fission problem roots much deeper in the
physiology and only shows, that pombe and cerevisiae, although both
Saccharos, are completely different and evolutionary distant
organisms. (The evolutionary distance between S.c and S.p. is taught
to be about the same as between S.c. and man).

Tomas