Lysing yeast cells

unknown at dl.ac.uk unknown at dl.ac.uk
Thu Jan 13 21:08:46 EST 1994

We generally use a bead beater and glass beads to lyse the cells, but
found quite a lot of lysate stayed with the beads.  Pek Lum, a grad
student in my lab, can up with a great idea to solve the problem.  We
turn the Eppendorf tube upside down and pierce the CAP.  (This is so
the hole doesn't have to be exactly in the center of the pointy end.)
We then put the tube UPSIDE down into a test tube (18 X 150 mm) and
spin in a clinical centrifuge.  You need a long forceps to remove the
Eppendorf tube.  If needed, the beads can be washed with another
volume of lysis buffer.  After the spin, we retrieve the lysate from
the glass tube and proceed with our fractionations.

Good luck.

Robin Wright