Most exciting work in "yeast"

Hoffmacs Hoffmacs at hermes.bc.edu
Thu Jan 13 10:47:29 EST 1994

Hi yeast netters (I am not a buddy,  but please don't call me a fizzie),

I agree with Frank Li.  The two hybrid system, etc., is it.  With it we can
study biological interactions in larger eukaryotes and in higher eukaryotes
such as Schizosaccharomyces pombe.  I welcome all flaming that this may bring
on, but as a member of the pombe minority in the yeast community, I get ticked
off by the use of the term "yeast" when people mean Saccharomyces cerevisiae.
Now you may think I am just flaming, but how many times has someone asked you a
question about some exotic yeast and were surprise that you do not know
everything there is to know about every type of yeast on the planet?  I also
agree that it is easier to say yeast than to say S. cerevisiae or budding
yeast, but I don't have that luxury.  If I just used the term "yeast" in an
abstract or a manuscript, I'd get ripped by reviewers.  Now that I've alienated
90% or more of the yeast community, I'll sign off.

Happy New Year and many unhappy mutants,

Charlie Hoffman
Boston College
HOFFMACS at hermes.bc.edu
"I'd rather be fission"