Reply: What is the most exciting work in yeast?

Susan L Forsburg susan_forsburg at
Fri Jan 14 20:37:39 EST 1994

Subject: Reply: What is the most exciting work in yeast?
From: Frank Li, LI_N at
Date: 13 Jan 1994 07:28:07 -0000
In article <2h2t67$8r3 at> Frank Li, LI_N at
>Dear Susan and other buddies,
>Well, you know: besides two-hybrid, we also have one-hybrid now (refer to
>Yocum Li's paper in recent Science); and based on the properties of our
>beloved GAL4 protein, there are many other tricks you can play with to
>study your favourite protein or promoter sequences (refer to the latest
>issue of Methods: A Companion to Methods in Enzymology edited by Stan
>and Mark Johnston).
>Dream on: half-hybrid, three-hybrid ... being an engineer of protein is
>really something exciting!

I have to disagree here.  First, I'm not a buddie, I'm a fission yeast
Second, the two hybrid system is a TOOL, a METHOD , a TECHNOLOGY.  It's
analogous to using E. coli to make plasmids.   It uses yeast as a small
Eppendorf tube.  If you will, it's a tactic, not a strategy.  This is not
to disparage its utility, but it is not an end in itself.  Yeast is
important as a biological system, not just as a kit.

So far most people have responded to my discussion topic either here or
by email, by suggesting that significant yeast work consists either of
limited technologies that the higher-cell types have exploited, or of
their own corner of experimentation.  I had hoped for a little more from
this community.

 I think the APYG ("awesome power of...") is making significant
contributions to many cell biology problems.   IMHO,  signal
transduction, secretion and localisation, and cell cycle are all areas
where yeast work is advancing our understanding of basic biological
problems.    The yeasts are biological systems in their own right, and
answering  questions in yeast really DOES make a difference to studying
them in higher cells.  I shouldnt have to persuade this audience of the
utility of model systems.   yeast is more than a system to get protein x
to interact with protein y.  The biology of our favourite organisms tells
us a lot about biology in general.  I know (and have just told you) what
I think are exciting current topics.  I wanted to generate a discussion
and see what others think.

So, let's try again!  Tell us what YOU think is exciting right now, and

Susan L Forsburg
Molecular Biology and Virology Laboratory
The Salk Institute for Biological Studies
email:  susan_forsburg at
        formerly forsburg at