pH problem

Charles Brenner brenner at rose.brandeis.edu
Sat Jan 15 15:23:42 EST 1994

tchang at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Tien-Hsien Chang) writes:

>     We are studying a particular drug resistance/sensitivity of the budding
>yeast.  We noticed that the pH of the yeast culture in minimal medium
>supplemented with required amino acids drops substantially to nearly 3.  This
>created a problem for us, as the drug may get inactivated or converted to other
>chemical forms at such a low pH.

>     Is there any well-established protocol to buffer the SD (synthetic
>dextrose) medium, both liquid and solid, allowing pH to be maintained at 7.0 in
>the culture ?  Any other relevant information or references will be greatly
>appreciated.

Synthetic media can be buffered to near neutral with 40 mM bis Tris
base (the other components of medium make the medium pH 7.2 without
addition of HCl).  See Brenner and Fuller, PNAS 89, p922-926, 1992.

Charlie

--
Charles Brenner, Ph.D.		Fellow of the Leukemia Society of America
Rosenstiel Center, rm 610	phone (617) 736-4944
Waltham, MA 02254-9110		brenner at auriga.rose.brandeis.edu