The Most Exciting...

ZEYL,CLIFFORD WESLEY,MR B7JM000 at MUSICB.MCGILL.CA
Sun Jan 16 17:42:40 EST 1994

Dear buddies/schizoids,
  To throw in my two cents' worth in response to the
re-posting of this question, I come from an evolutionary
ecology/theory background and began working on cerevisiae
because to me it looks like an ideal model eukaryote for
experimentally testing evolutionary theories on topics
like, why is there sex?  Are transposons parasitic or
beneficial?  The huge advantage of yeast is that to look at
the effects of sex, for example, you can separate things that
are inseparable in less convenient eukaryotes, like diploidy and
sex, and the general ease of manipulation makes it possible
to test *general* theories about molecular evolution.  In fact,
when I first started familiarizing myself with the field, I
was surprised that there seem to be few or no labs doing the
sort of "evolution in a tube" experiments that have been done
on E coli and Drosophila.  The more detailed, molecular work
being done on cerevisiae makes this all the easier because,
for entirely different reasons, a lot of the pre-experimental
manipulations (vector construction, etc.) have already been
done by people who are much better at these things.  So, while
I'm not calling this "the most exciting work" going on in
yeast, I think the potential of yeast as a model eukaryote
for experimental evolution is great.
                                     Cliff Zeyl
                                     b7jm at musicb.mcgill.ca