overexpression from CEN plasmids

FATIMA at AIMP.UNA.AC.AT FATIMA at AIMP.UNA.AC.AT
Wed Jan 26 08:56:42 EST 1994

Dear David and others,
one reason why a CEN plasmid-borne gene could behave as a "multicopy"
suppressor may be overexpression caused by cutting off some regulatory
sequences or just by a cryptic enhancer in the vector. I once got
a YCp library clone carrying the gene I was interested in and about
1 kb of upstream DNA. One would expect that 1 kb is enough for a yeast
promoter; however, there was 5-10x more mRNA transcribed from the
plasmid then from the chromosomal copy, and the transcript was longer.
Have you done a Northern on your suppressed strain?

Fatima Cvrckova (fatima at aimp.una.ac.at)