Germination

Neigeborn, Lenore neigeborn at OCELOT.RUTGERS.EDU
Fri Jul 1 10:04:31 EST 1994

Hi Folks,

I think the germination question is really a much bigger issue:  What exactly
is a spore?  Is it simply an arrested cell with a special cell wall?  Is it a
primitive Xenopus oocyte (stocked full of mRNA and ready to go)?  Is there
serious gene expression activity?  If glucose is really the trigger to
stimulate germination, does that mean spores won't germinate on a
nonfermentable carbon source?  What exactly is germination, anyway?  Is it
different than normal budding?  I don't think that information on B. subtilis
is especially helpful.  As Robert Preston mentioned, the quality of the spores
(environmental resistence, etc) is very different.

I have a vague memory that a germination mutant was identified many years ago,
but I can't remember who or how.  Are you out there?

Lenore Neigeborn
To: yeast at net.bio.net
From: "Hoffmacs" on Fri, Jul 1, 1994 10:45 AM
Subject: Germination
RFC Header:Received: by raven.rutgers.edu with SMTP;1 Jul 1994 10:32:25 -0500
Date: 30 Jun 1994 14:26:36 -0700
From: Hoffmacs at hermes.bc.edu ("Hoffmacs")
Sender: daemon at net.bio.net
To: yeast at net.bio.net

Greetings spore (ts) fans,
Nothing personal, but this group has been pretty boring as of late.  In an
effort to stimulate an exchange of speculation, I pose the following question.
What triggers a spore to germinate?  Does it "sense" a rich nutrient
environment?  If so, how does it do it?  I thought spores are impregnable?  How
long do yeast (and I mean all kinds of yeasts) spores remain viable in the
absense of nutrients?
Best wishes for platform and poster preparations,
Charlie Hoffman
Boston College
Dept. of Biology
"I'd rather be fission."