...and again: the 2-hybrid system

Bert Popping Bert.Popping at durham.ac.uk
Mon Jul 4 07:21:01 EST 1994

Dear Yeasters,

here again a question concerning the 2-hybrid system:

I'm screening for interacting proteins using the - well-known - 2-hybrid
system. Clones with interacting proteins should show the phenotype His+
AND  beta-Gal+ .
^^^
Screening on selective plates (SC-HIS/-LEU/-TRP), I get several hundred
His+ clones, and a few of them are even beta-Gal+.
I expected perhaps a few His+/plate (not several hundred). Why do I get
so many ?

Did anybody make the same experience or does anybody have an explanation
for this ?

Thanx in advance,

Bert
|                                  ... usual disclaimer applies.          |
|_________________________________________________________________________|
| 	Dr. B. Popping				                          |
| 	University of Durham			    			  |
| 	Dept. Biol. Sci. 	  PHONE   +44 91 374 2430 	          |
| 	South Road                FAX     +44 91 374 2417 	          |
| 	Durham DH1 3LE	          E-MAIL  Bert.Popping at durham.ac.uk       |
| 	ENGLAND			  					  |
|	WWW set pointer to:   http://www.dur.ac.uk/~dbl1bp (my home page) |
|	WWW set pointer to:   http://www.dur.ac.uk/~dbl0zz3 (Dept. Biol.) |