SD medium with low phosphate

SLF forsburg at sc2.salk.edu
Thu Jul 14 19:07:18 EST 1994

In article <94195.120920U42208 at uicvm.uic.edu>, <U42208 at uicvm.uic.edu> wrote:

> Hi, netters
> I am working with PHO-5 promoter. Right now I need a SD medium with low
> phosphate(20-50 mg/l). I know there is a recipe in the paper of Dr. Schekman
> (J. Cell Biology, 1980, 123). But I don't know where I can buy the special
> yeast nitrogen base without phosphate. I have tried to call Difco and sigma,
> they don't have it.
> I appreciate any suggestion.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Hanhua Huang
>
> U42208 at uicvm.uic.edu
> Laboratory of Molecular Biology
> University of Illinois at Chicago

Back in The Old Days, people built up media from the component parts
without Difco.  XG medium is made up that way, and so are pombe media.  So
all you really need is some phosphate-less stock solutions with the other
essential salts and vitamins, the nitrogen and carbon sources, and away
you go.   Have you checked the Guthrie and Fink yeast book?

-susan, who tends to be old-fashioned

forsburg at sc2.salk.edu
    formerly forsburg at molbiol.ox.ac.uk