Spore germination on YEPGal

Mr. Steven Swift BIOL; GRAD sswift at umbc.edu
Fri Mar 4 02:07:00 EST 1994

Andrey Tsouladze (tsoul at techunix.technion.ac.il) wrote:

: Hi everybody,

: Recently, I was making a tetrad analysis in which some haploid progeny
: was to be kept alive only due to the presence of a gene under the GAL
: promoter control. Therefore, I put dissected tetrads on YEPGal plates. To
: my surprise, no single spore appeared to grow after four days. Does
: anybody have an idea why? Is it possible that glucose substitution with
: galactose prevents germination? What can I do to avoid the problem?

  Its been my experience that cells grow slower on galactose.
  I've also had friends find that their strains had gal- mutations that they
  didn't know were there because it wasn't in the recorded genotype.
  I don't know about the sporulation on galactose though.

  Good Luck with your problem.

: Thank you in advance.

: Andrey

: *               Andrey Tsouladze                *                   *
: *            Department of Biology              * You               *
: *  Technion - Israel Institute of Technology    *   have            *
: *                Haifa 32000                    *      been         *
: *                  Israel                       *         warned... *
: *    E-mail: tsoul at techunix.technion.ac.il      *                   *