spore germination on gal

FATIMA at AIMP.UNA.AC.AT FATIMA at AIMP.UNA.AC.AT
Fri Mar 4 15:01:52 EST 1994

Dear Andrey and others,
the reason why gal-dependent strains don't grow from spores might be
traces of glucose in your gal media. Spores are more sensitive to this
than patches so that you might not have noticed before. To make sure
that the plates are O.K., try galactose of the best purity available
(I think that we use Sigma, purity p.a., but I am not sure) and sterilize
it by filtration, NOT AUTOCLAVING. Some gal always hydrolyzes when auto-
claved.
Alternatively, if you do all this and still don't get colonies: are you
sure that the strain is Gal+?
Good luck!

Fatima