PCR from yeast colonies

Jaime Arenas jaime at seqvax.caltech.edu
Sun Mar 6 23:50:00 EST 1994

In article <2laf4c$ecj at scunix2.harvard.edu>, mendels1 at husc4.harvard.edu (Andrew Mendelsohn) writes...
>Does anyone know of a protocol that WORKS for PCR from
>yeast colonies.  There is a 1991 Trends in Genetics paper
>and a 1992 NAR paper, but they have problems.  Thanks.

I've tried yeat pcr by simply washing the cells in water and they adding
directly to the pcr rxn. This works fine without any additional tricks
during pcr. But I guess sometimes success depends in the piece of DNA that
you are trying to PCR.   Interestingly, someone in my lab failed repeatedly
to do this with Vent polymerase.  It worked fine when switched back to TAQ
polymerase.!!!!