PCR from yeast colonies

tim stearns stearns at leland.Stanford.EDU
Mon Mar 7 21:09:41 EST 1994

In article <940307150907_71562.2253_FHF45-1 at compuserve.com>,
Trueheart <71562.2253 at COMPUSERVE.COM> wrote:

>I've had many problems myself with yeast colonies, though I am not familiar
>with the paper you mentioned.  The thing that seems to work the best is to
>put a smidge into 5O ul of TE, add glass beads to halfway to the miniscus,
>boil the whole mess for 2 or 3 minutes, vortex it for one more, and use 1
>ul in a 10 ul reaction.  It's tedious I know but it's the only reliable one
>I've used.
>
>If ANYONE HAS A BETTER ONE please post it.....
>
>Josh Trueheart
>Cadus
>2126453738x231

I agree with Josh - none of the standard methods that work so well for
E. coli work consistently for me for yeast colonies.  I do as above,
but use a VWR multi-tube vortexer to do many samples at once - it is a
wonderful device.  I have also left out the boiling and that worked
fine.

Tim Stearns
stearns at leland.stanford.edu