klein at mcclb0.med.nyu.edu klein at mcclb0.med.nyu.edu
Mon Mar 14 09:37:25 EST 1994

In article <84417CF4E00018BE at if1.ufrgs.br>, DAVI at IF1.UFRGS.BR writes:
> Dear nets,
> The leu2-3,-112 double mutation is a standard marker used in S. cerevisiae
> strains.
> I lost track of an article describing which mutations correspond to
> leu2-3,-112.
> Does anybody know this article or any other reference ?
> If I made a mistake thinking this double mutation is already described,
> does anybody know the type and position of these mutations ?
> Thanks.
> David Keszenman-Pereyra
> Centro de Biotecnologia
> Av Bento Gencalves, 9500,
> Campus do Vale/UFRGS, 91500
> Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
> Fax 55 (051) 336-2779
> e-mail DAVI at IF1.UFRGS.BR
> Knowledge is power (Bacon)

The position of the leu2-3 mutation is a +1 insertion of a G after
nucleotide 246 of the coding sequence.  This is very close to the KpnI
site.  All I know about the leu2-112 mutation is that it was also
induced by ICR170 mutagenesis and so is likely to be a +1 frameshift
insertion in a string of G residues.  It maps somwehere 3' to the
EcoRI site in the gene.  Mike Culbertson at U. Wisconsin may have more
information on this allele.

Hannah Klein
NYU Medical Center