database software

Morris F. Manolson mm6y+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Mar 31 11:33:37 EST 1994

> I'm looking for database software with which to store our lab yeast
> strains.  The software I'm currently previewing has some inadequacies in
> allowances for strain descriptions.  Can anyone recommend "yeast-friendly"
> database software?

Dave Garman and John Hill made a great strain database using filemaker
pro (for MACs) for yeast and bacteria.  They made separate windows for
genotype, mating type, markers, etc.  Its easy to enter strain and very
very easy to search for just the right stain with the right mating type
and the right markers that you need.  I have lost touch with John Hill
(somewhere in New York I beleive) but you can get in touch with Dave
Garman at "garman at cmgm.stanford.edu"    Hope this helps, Morrie
Morris F. Manolson                     Tel:  416-813-6662  (office)
Division of Cell Biology                     416-813-5594  (lab)
Hospital for Sick Children                   416-813-5028  (FAX)
88 Elm St., McMaster building        email:  Morrie at resunix.ri.sickkids.on.ca
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
M5G 1X8