Drug to kill actively growing yeast cells

Trueheart 71562.2253 at COMPUSERVE.COM
Thu Nov 3 22:17:16 EST 1994

I have also witnessed the successful use of serial heat shocks--50 degrees for
one minute, enriching for non growing cells and repeating.  I have no
reference, but know who does.

Josh Trueheart
71562.2253 at compuserve.com

>[ Article crossposted from bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts ]
>[ Author was Tony Kwan (kwan at medcor.mcgill.ca) ]
>[ Posted on Wed, 02 Nov 1994 22:46:46 -0500 ]
>Hello netters,
>I'm looking for a drug that would be able to kill yeast cells which are
>actively dividing and would leave those which aren't alone.  Something
>analogous to penicillin in e.coli, for example.  Any help would be
>Tony Kwan
>Department of Biochemistry, McGill University
>kwan at medcor.mcgill.ca
>| B.F. Francis Ouellette
>| francis at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Nystatin has been used for that. See R. Snow, Nature 211: 206 1966.
There have been subsequent uses of the method, but I don't have references
handy. There are a couple of other methods described in McCusker and Haber,
Genetics 119: 303 1988, using ethidium bromide or fluorouracil. EthBr
apparently causes loss of mito DNA much more efficiently in growing cells
than in arrested ones. So the rho+ survivors are enriched in mutants.

Hope this helps,

Preston Garrison                 garrisonp at uthscsa.edu
Biochem. Dept.                   voice: 210-567-3702
Univ Texas Health Sci Ctr        fax:   210-567-6595
San Antonio, Tx 78284-7760