reserving a gene name

Francis Ouellette francis at BORDUAS.NLM.NIH.GOV
Tue Nov 15 22:54:04 EST 1994

somebody writes me:

> We identified, isolated and sequenced a cerevisiae gene based on
> complementation of a mutation that resulted in certain genes being
> overexpressed.  Based on its structural and functional characteristics,
> we want to call the gene XXX1.

[ note from bffo: name of gene has been changed to protect unsuspecting
  'buddy' who did not know I would mail their message to the net ... :-]

> I have heard that one can reserve a name
> by contacting the Stanford Yeast Genome Project, but I don't know who to
> contact for information.  Do you?

The address you want to contact for the

'who's got which favorite gene symbol, and what else is free that
starts with an "S" category'

is this:

               yeast-curator at genome.stanford.edu

regards,