5FOA summary

Hoffmacs Hoffmacs at HERMES.BC.EDU
Wed Nov 23 07:29:07 EST 1994

Yo (how's that for an all-inclusive greeting?),

Last week I posted a question with regard to our inability to get 5FOA to
work on a defined minimal medium (as opposed to the standard YNB-based
medium).  Here is a summary of the responses.

Vince Schulz-  The trick is to leave out the buffering agents in synthetic
media (ie succinic acid and NaOH).

Tom Chappell-  ....in my hands, both EMM and dropout 5FOA
kill ura+ cells.
(I was using PM, so there may be a difference between the two.)

Bill Clinton- subscribe yeast (How did that get in here?)

Other responses from Tom Chappell and from Karen Hahnenberger addressed my
direct concern that I could not turn on the nmt (no message on thiamine)
promoter on a YNB-based medium.  They both indicated that YNB contains
insufficient thiamine for complete repression of nmt transcription.

Thanks to all who responded.
Charlie Hoffman
"I'd rather be fission."