NO SUBJECT

usmbc5m3 at IBMMAIL.COM usmbc5m3 at IBMMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 23 13:15:51 EST 1994

-------------------- Mail Item Text Follows ------------------

To: INTERNET--IBMMAIL

From: Patricia Bower
E-Mail Address: USMBC5M3 at IBMMAIL.COM

Dear Yeastnetters:

While having a conversation with a colleague we hit an
impasse regarding a cloning question. Not knowing the answer
I decided to ask the yeast group for input.

Question:  when a plasmid which contains both bacterial and
yeast DNA is integrated into the yeast genome will the
bacterial sequences be spontaneously removed without taking
the yeast sequences with it?

I have heard that this can happen, but I believe the plasmid
must be constructed so that the bacterial sequences are
flanked by direct repeats to encourage the "eviction" of
these sequences.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks  Pat