Trivial Yeast Question

Kevin Morano ez005528 at rocky.ucdavis.edu
Tue Nov 22 15:12:38 EST 1994

At the risk of starting a long conversation, I think that most ales are
brewed with Sacharromyces carlsbergensis, a close relative, and many
lagers (what Americans would call "normal" beer) are done with industrial
strains of cerevisiae. I maintain a couple ale strains on YPD plates in
lab and they behave very similarly but look a little bit different under
the scope. They are actually known in the brewing world as
"top fermenting" and "bottom fermenting", respectively (I think). Has
something to do with bouyant density during respirofermentative growth.
Maybe a vacuolar phenotype? (We try to relate everything to the vacuole,
if possible.)

Kevin

Kevin A. Morano
Internet:kamorano at ucdavis.edu
Bitnet:kamorano at ucdavis
Section of Microbiology, University of California, Davis