Trivial Yeast Question

Jon Binkley binkley at fafner.Stanford.EDU
Fri Nov 25 15:26:11 EST 1994

In article <3atjbm$s9u at mark.ucdavis.edu>,
Kevin Morano <ez005528 at rocky.ucdavis.edu> wrote:

>At the risk of starting a long conversation, I think that most ales are
>brewed with Sacharromyces carlsbergensis, a close relative, and many
>lagers (what Americans would call "normal" beer) are done with industrial
>strains of cerevisiae.

At the risk of continuing a long conversation, you've got these
reversed. Cerevisiae does ales, carlsbergensis does lagers. The
latter was named for the lager brewery that first isolated it
in pure culture, the Carlsberg Brewery in Copenhagen.

>They are actually known in the brewing world as
>"top fermenting" and "bottom fermenting", respectively (I think).

Cerevisiae = top fermenting, carlsbergensis = bottom fermenting.

Jon Binkley