Flocculants

Rob.Stewart at Labatt.Com 48169 at labatt.com
Thu Oct 6 15:30:11 EST 1994

I,m responding to your query about flocculants on the Newsgroup
bionet.molbio.yeast.  I tried to send you a message last week but since I am
a "newbie" I don't think I followed the correct procedure. In addition, I
was using the login name of Dr. Magaritas to access a particular programme.
Sorry for the delay.
With respect to flocculants, there are number available such as isinglass
(which is basically collagen) and kieselguhr will work also.  I wonder,
since you mention immobilization, if you have considered immobilization in a
polymeric gel such as acrylamide or carageenan.  Tiny beads can be formed
with acrylamide or carageenan resulting in immobilized cells, which can be
applied to continuous fermemtations, for example. If you would like more
information on immobilization of yeast, please contact my colleague, Dr.
Sylvain Norton at sylvain.norton at labatt.com or if you prefer, telephone at
519-667-7459 or FAX at 519-667-7350.
An alternative method to immobilization by adding a flocculant, you could
use a floccculent strain of yeast, which spontaneously flocculate in the
presence of calcium.  Please feel free to contact me if would like more
information on flocculation.
Regards, Robert Stewart