alpha factor synchronization

Paul Campbell pablo at bioc.rice.edu
Thu Oct 6 16:11:57 EST 1994

We have been trying to use alpha factor to synchronize S.cerevisiae, but
the results have not been satisfactory.  We are using bar1 strains and
1ug/L alpha factor in mid-log phase cells for 2.5 hours at 24C.  The alpha
factor is filtered out, and the cells are then washed in 2 volumes of YPD
and resuspended in the orginial volume of YPD and grown up at 24C.  From
the bud index taken at
various times after release, the cells do not appear to be as well
synchronized as they should be.

Any suggestions/how do you do your alpha factor synchronizations?
Thanks!