pathogens?

Dan Zabetakis dan at cubsps.bio.columbia.edu
Wed Oct 12 19:13:07 EST 1994

In article <199410122253.PAA08587 at net.bio.net>,
Margaret Collinge <margret at BIOSCI.MBP.MISSOURI.EDU> wrote:

>This is, no doubt, a silly question but: do yeasts, in particular S.
>cerevisiae, have pathogens? The question arises from a discussion about how

  My knowledge is a little out of date, so if I'm wrong, somebody will
jump in.  There are yeast viruses, but the known ones do not have
external aspects of thier cell cycle. They live only within the yeast.
  I think the theory is that since yeast-in-the-wild mate so vigorously
there is no need to try to infect a yeast cell. If you are in, you will
soon get the chance to infect another cell without any mucking about
in the supernatent.
  According to a review I read, the known viruses are present in most
wild-type strains.

DanZ