Yeast/mammalian fusions

Martin Kennedy mkennedy at chmeds.ac.nz
Mon Oct 24 20:54:25 EST 1994

I'd be grateful if someone can give me advice on two points:

1) is it possible to recover live yeast cells after fusing them with
mammalian cells?  I'm not experienced with yeast, though I have protocols
for yeast/ES cell fusions.  I just wondered if it is possible to recover
yeast cells in some form after they have been fused with mammalian cells?

2) do the commonly used mammalian promoters/poly A signals (like PGK, CMV
etc) function in yeast.  ie, is it possible to shuttle one selectable marker
cassette, like PGK-neo, between yeast and mammalian cells?

Thanks in advance,

Martin