Improper use of the YEAST/bionet.molbio.yeast newsgroup

BIOSCI Administrator biosci-help at NET.BIO.NET
Fri Sep 16 18:08:51 EST 1994

I received information from some readers of this group that a certain
person named R. C. Dana was making posts about, e.g., the isolation of
RNA, without revealing that (1) commercial products from BIO 101, Inc.
were involved and also (2) without revealing an affiliation with the
company.  I sent a message to the person in question well over a week
ago, and have not received a response back.  In addition, the reader
who was concerned about this possible breach of network regulations
was able to FAX me a business card obtained at a trade show
unambiguously showing an affiliation with the company.

While I can not completely rule out a possible misunderstanding of
network regulations in this case, the suspicion of a subtle attempt to
circumvent them is also present.

So that there is no misunderstanding about what is appropriate and
what is not, I am posting a section from the BIOSCI FAQ on this issue.
I would appreciate it if Mr. Dana would refrain from inappropriate
posts in the future.

				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				BIOSCI/bionet Manager