DataBase Manager for Macs

Kai-Uwe Froehlich cbkfr01 at mailserv.zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Tue Sep 20 02:15:08 EST 1994

In <died-1909941528560001 at gottschling3.uchicago.edu> died at midway.uchicago.edu (Scott J. Diede) writes:

>Hello,

>   I need some help finding a Database Manager for a Macintosh which
>allows for case sensitive searches.  We are currently using FileMaker Pro
>to keep track of our yeast strains. We want to be able to search genotypes
>(finding ura3 versus URA3), and the newest version of FileMaker Pro cannot
>do this.  Thanks in advance for any help that you can give me.

>Scott Diede

>--
>Scott J. Diede
>The University of Chicago
>Department of Molecular Genetics
>and Cell Biology
>920 East 58th Street Box 56
>Chicago, IL 60637

>TEL:    312/702-2031
>FAX:    312/702-3172
>e-mail: died at midway.uchicago.edu

May be I am somewhat biased, but I like my "Yeast Strain
Collection" best B-). It is "just a Hypercard stack", but
its speed is fine on fast Macs (acceptable on medium fast Macs,
worth its price on slow Macs). And searching is quite fast and
allows exactly those searches you need for S. cerevisiae, e.g.,
any combination of wild type and mutant genes, mating type, gene
combinations in diploids, and arbitrary text.
As a special bonus for FileMaker users, you can not copy and
paste records in my program, too :-)

The program is freeware and available from

<ftp://ftp.bio.indiana.edu//molbio/mac/yeaststrain.readme>
<ftp://ftp.embl-heidelberg.de//pub/software/mac/yeaststrains.hqx>

Kai

Kai-Uwe Froehlich, Physiologisch-chemisches Institut,
Hoppe-Seyler-Str. 4, 76072 Tuebingen, Germany