Selection of an auxotrophic mutant

Craig Kim cskim at design.eng.uci.edu
Thu Apr 6 13:33:50 EST 1995

Hi all, I'm currently working with methylotrophic bacterial strains
(I know, not yeast, but I don't know who else to ask).  I'm using
a chemical mutagen (MNNG) and I'm wondering if anyone has a good
protocol for isolating/characterizing an auxotrophic mutant
(specifically, I'm looking at the deletion of an aa pathway).
Someone has mentioned the Holliday method to me.  Has anyone heard
of this?  Is there a more updated method?  Where can I find the
protocol?  Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Craig S. Kim
University of Califoria, Irvine
Dept. of Chemical and Biochemical Engineering
cskim at design.eng.uci.edu